Friday, June 06, 2008

Just Another Friday

Questions courtesy of One Knutty Knitter; thank you, Knutty!

1. Idle hands are itching for a book.

2. I love to read in the shower. I just can't--soggy book and all that. If only I could keep the book dry . . .

3. My favorite time of the day is when the UPS man arrives. He's like a daily Santa Claus.

4. The last tea I drank was warm and soothing.

5. I like to go to baseball games in the summer.

6. My mother always said the best walks are often taken in the pouring rain.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I’m looking forward to spending a quiet evening with my husband and our furkids; tomorrow my plans include celebrating my husband's birthday and entertaining my in-laws and Sunday, I want to enjoy a decent breakfast with our company before they head home and then spend the afternoon lost in a book!





Appetizer

When you drink soda/pop/coke, do you prefer to drink it from the bottle, a can, or after pouring it into a cup?

I do not drink soda of any kind anymore. When I did, I preferred it in a glass glass over ice. Sometimes I would crave an ice cold bottle of root beer.

Soup

What television show are you willing to stay up late to watch?

None. With the advent of digital recorders, I no longer have to give up my precious sleep for a favorite television show. Even when a show is on at a decent hour, I tend to record it and watch it later or at least get it started late so I can fast forward through all of the commercials.

Salad

Name one person, place, or thing you think of as brilliant.

Books.


Main Course

Would you be willing to work 4 10-hour days instead of 5 8-hour days in order to save gas?

This has recently come up as an idea for staff at the agency I work for. Whether it's going to be adopted or not is still up in the air. I am more than willing to work a 4/10 schedule. As it is, I currently work a 9/80 schedule, meaning that I work 9 hours Monday through Thursday and then 8 hours alternating Fridays, with three day weekends every other week. Considering how much overtime I put in, an extra hour a day will not make much of a different. It sure would be nice to have three days off every week though!

Dessert

If you were a superhero, what would you call yourself?

Why, the Literary Feline, of course! I could swoop in when there is a biblio-emergency and save the day. Stuck somewhere with nothing to read? Found the last few pages missing from your book? Accidentally dropped your book in a bucket of water? Realized the only book you have on hand is one you have already read--or worse, one you wish you had never picked up? Just give a shout out for the Literary Feline!

21 comments:

  1. I hope your husband had a great birthday :-)

    Thanks for playing, have lots of fun this weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your husband :)

    lol, I love the term furkids. I wish I could read in the shower too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love your idea for a superhero. That would be really cool. It kinda reminds me of Thursday Next from The Eyre Affair - she learned the ability to actually go into books. She was a literary detective that investigated book crimes. Anyway, cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your husband!

    Clearly you haven't gotten your superpowers yet because I know I've called on them. :)

    Now the 4/40 is being touted as a way to save gas? They've been trying for years to get that to fly, I wonder why it's never caught on. I liked it. Maybe that'll do the trick! We live in a 24/7 world though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I love and agree with your first 3 answers!! Happy bday to your hubby and hope you have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is a FANTASTIC super hero idea!

    Happy birthday to hubby :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet - I hope he has a nice birthday too. I'm glad his parents and brother will be able to celebrate with him. We see them so rarely.

    Nymeth - Thanks! We started celebrating early--got an unexpected free dinner last night while out. :-)

    I think of my cat and dog as my children so it seemed a fitting term.

    Carrie K - Thank you! I wish I did have my superpowers. Imagine what I could do! I would love to have Thursday Next's job! Think of the places we could go.

    Yes, the 4/10 schedule is being considered as a money saving measure--save on gas and growing food costs. My particular office is open 24/7 and we already have a variety of shifts available. The 4 day work week and 3 day work weeks are reserved for the hard to fill schedules though--kind of a perk despite the undesirable hours (undesirable being relative). Those of us who work during the daytime regular business days would love a shot at one of those schedules--but during the weekday days. Those of us working the 9/80 schedule don't all share the same day off. It's staggered to ensure there's always enough coverage. I think we could make it work--it's just a matter of what management is willing to do.

    April - My UPS person doesn't actually come every day, but I wish he would. Haha

    Thank you for the birthday wishes. We're considering going to see a movie tomorrow with the birthday boy's family. We'll see if it pans out.

    Terri - I struggled with the super hero question and then realized the answer was right there in front of me. :-)

    My husband thanks you for the birthday wishes. I've been giving him a hard time about getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I drink more soda than anything else and yes I know it's bad for me but I have withdrawls if I don't lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'd make a wonderful super hero!

    Wouldn't it be nice if the only mail we ever got was the UPS guy, especially if he's dropping off packages from the Amazon Fairy!

    Wish hubby a happy birthday and I hope y'all enjoy the weekend!

    cjh

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen - My husband is a heavy soda drinker too. I was a moderate soda drinker, you could say. I had to give the caffeine and carbonation up for health reasons; otherwise, I would still be drinking it. Sometimes I crave it, but I've been pretty good about staying away from it.

    CJ - Yeah, I could do without the bills that come in the mail . . .

    I'm going to drag hubby to bed soon because we need to be at least a little awake when his folks and brother arrive tomorrow. It's just after two here in California. I'll pass along the birthday wishes.

    Happy belated birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could read in the shower!! I'm so afraid of getting those books wet! ;)

    And happy birthday to your husband! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why Wendy... just concentrate on your shower! LOL. Get in quick and get out even quicker and then you can enjoy your book. :D

    I almost answered book as the most brilliant item. Am glad you did!

    Happy Birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to Anjin!

    I've wanted to try that 9/80 schedule for awhile, but there's always some reason why it won't work for me. It's interesting that now it's being touted as a gas- (and money-)saver. Lately I've been able to carpool with a coworker some days, but I'd be happiest if I could work from home on some sort of regular schedule.

    Have a great weekend, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alice - LOL You make a good point there.

    Your answer for the most brilliant item was probably the best.

    My husband thanks you for the birthday wishes. Or he would if he was awake. I'll pass them along. :-)

    Florinda - Anjin's getting to sleep in this morning for his birthday. Of course, he usually gets to sleep in every Saturday and Sunday. I'm just glad the dog and cat are behaving. For now. I'll pass along the birthday wishes--I'm sure he'd say thanks. :-)

    Working from home would be ideal. It isn't feasible in my current, not really, but, oh, it would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not sure who I love more - the UPS man at work or the mail man at work. I'm thinking of bribing them both to come earlier in the day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Literary Feline is a great super hero name :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lori - My mail delivery person definitely deserves my love too. :-)

    Nikki - I thought so. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Friday post. Hope you've had a relaxing & enjoyable weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Jennifer! I'm relaxing now that the company is gone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the UPS man arrives too, and agree they're like Santa Claus when there packages for me ...sometime even for no reason LOL

    I prefer the cold from the fridge over ice for my soda drink. I don't put ice in my glass. Instead the soda drink would be cold already from the fridge, so I pour the liquid into my glass and drank it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The UPS man and my postal worker made me very happy today. :-) Great way to start off the week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit Musings of a Bookish Kitty. Don't be shy! I would love to hear from you. Due to a recent increase in spam, I will be moderating all comments for the foreseeable future. Please be patient with me as it may take a few hours before I am able to approve your comment.